Closing Date: 31/05/2022
Facilities and Maintenance
£30,000 - £40,000 (dependent on experience)
37 hours per week
To apply, please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to BRCHR@babraham.co.uk.
An opportunity to join a growing Campus at the heart of the Cambridge Biotech cluster. As Laboratory Operations Manager you will ensure the Accelerator laboratory facilities and support services are run with the aim of delighting those who use them. You will promote, the facilities to prospective users and manage them from their induction through till the point they stop using the facilities. You will be responsible for managing the laboratory, equipment and for fulfilling all health and safety requirements. As well as looking to add value to the offering by arranging additional support services, such as training, pipette clinics, etc. You will also support the Campus helpdesk in the process of providing both reactive and proactive support services to Accelerator laboratories and support services. This is a permanent role working in a busy team and requires an enthusiastic outlook, self-confident attitude and someone who can use their initiative to solve problems.
We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic, dynamic and customer focused Laboratory Operations Manager who will thrive in this busy and growing environment and is motivated by maintaining excellent facilities. Excellent customer service skills are essential along with a good understanding of laboratory management, including the safety, health and environmental framework which they operate under. An understanding of facilities management, using computer aided facilities management (CAFM) system (e.g FSI Concept Evolution) and Biosafety would be an advantage however full training will be provided. You will normally work 37 hours per week, typically 08:00 to 16:30 Monday to Friday. Flexible working, including working from home will be available.
- Manage the Accelerator laboratories and supporting services (wash-up rooms, cold rooms, freezer rooms and liquid nitrogen facilities) ensuring all equipment and specific laboratory plant (e.g. laboratory gases, gas detection and local exhaust ventilation) is maintained safely and is scheduled to minimise the disruption to users of the facilities. This will include managing the service contracts and contractors who come in to fulfil those contracts. This will include ensuring accurate recording of space allocation to tenants in FSI and reporting to Finance for recharging purposes.
- Manage, plan and organise any budget requirements associated with the Accelerator laboratories and supporting services.
- Manage the safety, health and environmental impact of the Accelerator laboratories and supporting services. Ensure all work that is undertaken is suitably risk assessed and where appropriate are approved by the relevant committees.
- Carry out regular inspections of the communal facilities and ensure any areas of concern are rectified as soon as possible, this will involve ensuring the users are following Campus policy as well as statutory legislation.
- Coordinate the response to Accelerator laboratories and supporting services requests which come from the Campus helpdesk, ensuring all are responded to in line with the service level agreement.
- Procure equipment and consumables for the communal laboratories in a timely fashion carrying out regular stock checks to avoid shortages.
- Assist with the collection of tenant’s emergency contact and compliance details such as health and safety profiles and hazard documentation.
- Promote the Campus to all prospective tenants and Accelerator users both on and off the Campus.
- Provide new tenants and Accelerator laboratory users with an introduction to the Campus.
- Manage the T-Scan critical monitoring, investigating alarms and ensuring all are appropriately responded to including outside of normal working hours.
- Continuously look to improve and develop processes and services to maximise the efficiency and to improve the Campus, to add to the offering and to increase income sources.
- Establish and maintain effective liaison between the Operations teams, colleagues and tenants across the campus.
- Attend meetings as required, this may involve taking brief action notes at times.
- Promote highest possible level of customer care at all times.
- To line manage a small team of Laboratory Coordinators, create development plans, manage performance, carry out appraisals, undertake succession plans and effectively lead by example to motivate and ensure the team’s performance.
This list is not exhaustive, and the successful candidate would be expected to undertake reasonable additional duties in support of the site operations as and when required, especially in the event of major incidents that have the potential to endanger the life, building or reputation.
Education and Qualifications
- GCSE’s (or equivalent) English and maths, grade C or above
- BSc in Biomedical Science or other relevant subject (Desirable)
- NEBOSH Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety (or equivalent)
- Experience and knowledge of working on a busy Helpdesk, preferably within facilities management/office services environment
- Experience of budgetary management
- Experience of laboratory management
- Experience in biological safety (GM and ACDP)
- Experience of providing excellent customer service, ideally in a property letting and or management environment
- Experience of using a CAFM System (Concept Evolution) desirable
- Experience of working on an established campus or complex site dealing with multiple customers
Skills and Abilities
- Good record keeping skills and ability to attend to detail meticulously
- Good interpersonal and communicative skills
- Great customer service skills with the ability to have empathy for the customers situation
- Experienced in Concept Evolution CAFM system desirable
- Expert user of Microsoft office applications – Excel, Word and Outlook
- Ability to work on own initiative and within a busy work environment
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good standard of numeracy and literacy
- Strong administrative and clerical skills Ability to deal with clients/customers on all levels either face to face, via e-mail or phone.
- Flexible and willing approach to work
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks
- An appreciation and commitment to Health and Safety
- Identifies opportunities for improving organisational working practices
- Takes action to improve the ways of working and efficiency and acts as a creative catalyst to challenge the status quo
- Identifies and suggests opportunities to save costs, develop efficiencies and generate revenue
- Dedicated and passionate about delivering the best for customers
- Understands and manages own impact to remain approachable
- Informs and includes others in decision making
- Has a clear sense of purpose and direction and takes personal responsibility for ensuring the quality of their performance
- Understands the local customer base, competition, and market proposition, stays up to date with changes and uses this knowledge to make strong customer decisions
- Actively seeks new opportunities for commercial success and take accountability for making these happen
- Proactively anticipates and organises resources effectively to deal upcoming challenges on the horizon
- Able to work on a non-smoking Campus
- A flexible approach to work and an ability to work from home where required.
- Willing to travel for work if required
- Willing to act as an out of hours’ emergency contact on occasions
- Clean valid driving British driving licence